Sunday, June 9, 2013

Character Interview: Shelley Clark from SINGLE GIRLS CAN'T JUMP

Character Interview:
Shelley Clark
Star of
Single Girls Can't Jump

Check out Smart Girls Read Romance!

For my debut post, I've interviewed Shelley Clark, star of the short story, Single Girls Can't Jump, set a thousand years in the future.  It's a wild, romantic adventure and hey, there are bounty hunters!

Back cover copy

Activist Shelley Clark parachutes out of a plane to protest a silly Florida law prohibiting single women from skydiving on Sundays, and makes a hard landing a thousand years into the future. In jail!  Can she trust the sexy rebel, Kael Gibson, who busts her out?  And how about Kael's mom, who's decided Shelley would make the perfect daughter-in-law.  Kael agrees, and now wants to trap Shelley in another form of imprisonment--marriage!

Interview
Jacquie: How long have you been skydiving, and what got you started?

Shelley: I've been jumping since I was sixteen, every weekend, and then I got a job with a skydiving company where I trained people for their first jump, so even though I'm not that old, I have a lot of experience under my belt.

What got me started?  Well, I was sixteen and my boyfriend wanted to give skydiving a try, so I went with him.  He chickened out but I jumped--and was it ever exhilarating!  We broke up that same day, and I went back to the airstrip and begged for another go.

Jacquie: About your boyfriends--seems like you've been unlucky in love.

Shelley:  Most of them want my undivided attention but I have other things to do, and to be honest, I wouldn't want a man who didn't have convictions himself.  If he has no passion for anything else, how can he have passion for me?  At any rate, I wasn't at all surprised when my boyfriend (at the time of the accident), slurped up as much attention as he could.  We wouldn't have been dating much longer anyway.

Jacquie:  What was it like waking up a thousand years in the future?

Shelley:  Whoa, talk about trippy.  It took me a while to figure out what the deal is.  Things were the same but very different, too.

Jacquie:  Do you prefer the future? or contemporary?

Shelley:  The world doesn't make any more sense in the future than it did in my own time, so the answer to that is wherever Kael is, the scenery is better. [big grin]

Jacquie:  Are you planning to star in any more stories?

Shelley:  I have no plans at this time, but if Hollywood calls...

Shelley's off getting into more trouble so let's take a look at what others are saying about Single Girls Can't Jump.

Reviews

FIVE STARS! Every state has old laws that have been almost forgotten because they are outdated. Yet, legally, they are still laws. (For example, in Florida it is illegal to tie an alligator to a fire hydrant.) This story is based on one of Florida’s inane laws and at times I could not resist shaking my head in wonder. This tale was originally published in an anthology (No Law Against Love); however, this version has been edited for even more fun. 

Jacquie Rogers is an author with eclectic taste and showcases this variety in her writings. Packed with romance, excitement, and sass, this adventure has something for everyone. 
~~ Detra Fitch, Huntress Reviews

Have you heard ridiculous laws that leave you wondering not only why they were ever passed, but also why they are still on the books? Obviously Jacquie Rogers has in her tongue-in-cheek comedy SINGLE GIRLS CAN'T JUMP. This delightful short story will leave you laughing. Shelly is determined to protest a law preventing single women from parachuting on Sundays. Unfortunately, her plan sends her a thousand years into the future. Well, not so unfortunately, because she meets a truly heroic hunk who shares her ideals. His mother is a corker and totally fun. This short story is a fast-paced fun read that is sure to please. I'm so glad I read it. I will undoubtedly reread it when I need a smile. 
~~ Caroline Clemmons, author of the Men of Stone Mountain series

Win a Kindle version of

All you have to do is leave a comment!  Be sure to include your email address.
Drawing will be held June 14 at 9pm Pacific Time.

Love books?  Get terrific recommends at
Smart Girls Read Romance
Comment on any SGRR post in June
to be entered in the Kindle Fire drawing at the end of the month.
All Smart Girls Read Romance commenters are eligible!

No comments: